img2track knitting machine software
img2track reads a graphic image file and converts it to pattern data formatted for a Brother KH-900 series knitting machine.
December 2012 update:
Over the last several months, we have developed a self-contained application with a graphical user interface (GUI). It is easy to install, and (we hope) easy for knitters to operate. This first release is for MacOSX 10.6 or later. We plan to build Linux and Windows versions if there is sufficient interest.
This release has been tested on Brother models KH-930 and KH-940.
Photos of samples produced with img2track can be seen at this project page at Ravelry.
To get the pattern data into your knitting machine, you will need a USB-to-serial converter cable, with a special connector. See our tutorial for making this cable.
You must also install VCP driver software on the computer you are using to run img2track, for the converter cable to work properly.
Installing img2track (MacOSX)
- Download img2track_2.0.1.zip.
- Unzip to get the app itself.
- Put the app in your Applications folder.
- Then drag the app into your dock.
- Click the dock icon to start the app.
Please read the img2track User Guide [PDF].
Features of img2track 2.0.1
- Accepts common image formats (jpg, gif, png, bmp, tiff, ...).
- Images converted to black & white; darker pixels knitted with "contrast" yarn.
- Large images are automatically split into multiple tracks.
- Images stretched vertically to compensate for stitches being wider than they are tall. Adjustable stretch factor, default is 1.5 (rows/stitches = 3/2).
- Adjustable maximum width (default is 200 stitches).
- Pattern viewer displays magnified stitch pattern.
- Pattern saved to black & white image file (in folder containing input image).
- Help window summarizes basic functions.
- Message window displays helpful prompts and errors.
- All operations and errors are logged for future reference (and debugging), including image filenames.
Features planned, not yet implemented
- Option to view reverse side of pattern.
- Support for multiple colors.
Send feedback and bug reports to knitting @ daviworks.com
(page revised 2013-01-09)