The img2track program reads a graphic image file and converts it to pattern data formatted for a Brother KH‑900‑series knitting machine. The pattern can be loaded into the knitting machine with a USB-to-serial adapter cable. Img2track works with Brother models KH‑930, 940, and 950i. (Img2track is pronounced "image to track".)
The img2track program is original code. It was inspired by the earlier Adafruit hack. (See credits in the program's About box.)
After hundreds of hours of additional development, we are pleased to announce img2track 2.2, the first release for both MS‑Windows and Mac OSX. It has many improvements, including an enhanced pattern viewer, multicolor knitting, and several bug fixes.
To fund the development of img2track, we are releasing it as commercial software. You may use the program free of charge, but patterns loaded into the knitting machine are limited to a maximum width of 100 stitches. To use the full 200 stitches width, you must purchase a registration key. We hope you will enjoy img2track, and can support its continued development.
To get the pattern data into your knitting machine, you will need a USB-to-serial converter cable, with a custom connector. See our tutorial for making this cable. Or you may order one from us. Brotherlink BL1USB or BL5USB cables may also be used.
Installing driver software
The cable requires driver software, which must be installed on the computer.
Windows Vista, 7, or 8:
With the computer connected to the internet, plug in the USB end of the cable — Windows should install the necessary driver automatically. If not, follow next paragraph.
Mac OSX (or Windows if auto-install fails):
Download the appropriate driver for your computer (32 or 64-bit doesn't matter, the download is the same). Follow the instructions for installing the CDM or VCP driver in the FTDI Installation Guide for your computer.
- Download the appropriate file for your operating system:
- Double-click the zip file.
- On Windows, drag the img2track folder you see to the desktop (or to another folder) — this will extract the files. On OSX, just move the extracted folder where you prefer.
- Open the extracted folder and double-click the img2track program to run it.
(Or drag the program to your taskbar or dock, and run it from there.)
- Please read the End User License Agreement; click to agree at bottom.
- Choose your knitting machine model.
- Please read the User Guide, which will open the first time you run the program.
Please see the img2track group on Ravelry (free registration required) for help. First search to see if your issue has been discussed. Report bugs to knitting @ daviworks.com; please describe clearly how to reproduce the problem, and include the log file and involved images.
Features of img2track
- Accepts common image formats (jpg, gif, png, bmp, tiff, ...)
- Large images are split into multiple tracks as needed
- Images are stretched vertically to compensate for stitches being wider than they are tall; adjustable stretch factor
- Adjustable maximum width, image scaled proportionately
- Pattern viewer displays magnified stitch pattern
- Pattern images saved for later reference
- Help window summarizes basic functions; User Guide has full documentation
- All operations and errors logged for reference and debugging
Improvements in version 2.2
- Runs on Microsoft Windows (as well as Mac OSX)
- Enhanced pattern viewer shows thumbnail (and color palette for multicolor)
- Multicolor processing for 3 to 6 colors, expands rows, sets Memo indicator (Double Bed Jacquard with ribber recommended)
- Selecting a previously generated pattern reloads it
- Improved User Guide, in Help menu
- Improved error reporting
- Several bugs fixed; other enhancements
Thanks to Keiichi Yasu for the Tokyocat photo used in the img2track icon and logo.
(page revised 2014-09-05)